The Core AI Technologies team will develop use-inspired AI algorithms and computational methods to address specific and unique challenges in the Food System. Specifically, we will focus on three challenges:
- High variability and diversity in terms of crop traits, environmental conditions, quality measures, and consumer preferences.
- High costs of both labor and time in data collection and low quality of observational data.
- Complex human factors dictated by the primary tie between humans and food.
These food system objectives require solutions to three key technical challenges:
- a complex learning space;
- limited data to learn from;
- and complex design constraints in terms of safety, privacy, fairness, and socioeconomic consequences.
To systematically address these challenges, our research plan is centered around three thrust areas:
- Generalizable AI
- Data-efficient AI
- Trustworthy AI